Top Food Trends 2016
According to Restaurants Canada’s 2016 Canadian Chef Survey, craft beer is a trend with true staying power. Craft beer/microbrews had the top spot in the 2015 survey, and it remains the top hot trend in Canadian restaurants for 2016 as well.
Also notable is the fact that the category “house-made condiments/sauces” is a brand new addition to both the Top 10 Hot Trendsand Top 10 Up-and-Comers lists for 2016; while the Top 10 Up-and-Comers list features several other first-time items: alternative pulse proteins, chef-driven fast casual concepts, ethnic cheeses, and house-made/artisan pickles.
Close to 500 professional chefs across the country participated in this annual survey, conducted by independent market research firm BrandSpark International.
The Top 10 Hot Trends are
Top 10 Hot Trends
1. Craft beer/microbrews
2. Charcuterie/house-cured meats
3. Ethnic sauces (e.g. sriracha, raita/raitha, chimichurri, soy sauce)
4. Locally sourced foods (locavore)
5. Food smoking
6. House-made condiments/sauces
7. Gluten-free/food allergy conscious
8. Inexpensive/underused cuts of meat (e.g. beef cheek, brisket, pork shoulder, skirt steak)
9. Organic produce
10. Leafy greens (e.g. kale, Swiss chard, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion, beet greens)